Things to do when moving house
They say moving home can be one of the most stressful things you’ll ever do. There are lots of things to think about and organise when moving into your new home. From taking meter readings and organising phone lines or internet to arranging removal vans. With a little forward planning you can help minimise the stress that moving home can cause.
We’ve put together a handy moving home checklist to try and help you through the process.
6 Weeks Before
- Think about booking some time off work for your home move
- It’s never too early to start thinking about what you want to take to your new home. Have a clear out and get rid of anything that you no longer want.
- Look into removals. Can you do it yourself? do you need a company? Shop around and get quotes to get the best deal
4 Weeks Before
- If you currently rent your home, you will have to give notice to your current landlord. Depending on the lease this may need to be longer than 4 weeks.
- Shop around for new providers! There are plenty of cheap deals online for your phone, broadband and TV.
- Give your current providers notice
- Arrange for your mail to be redirected
1 to 2 Weeks Before
- Confirm your booking with the removal team
- Start packing. Try and keep rooms organised and clearly labeled so you know exactly what is in each box.
- Plan what you might need on the day of your move and the days after it. Pack the essentials like clothes, toiletries, kitchen wear, bedding and any entertainment you might want
On the Day
It’s the day you’ve been waiting for you get to move into your new home!
Before you get to sit back and enjoy your new home, it’s important to make sure you’ve done some housekeeping before you leave your old house
- Take gas and electricity meter readings
- Do a final sweep of your old home to make sure that you’ve cleared any storage areas and secured any windows
Once you’re in your new home
You’re finally in and all your furniture and boxes have arrived. It’s now time to pop the kettle on, grab some chocolate and start unpacking.
- Check and make sure the utilities are working
- Decide what is going where
- Have a check of your new home and make sure you are happy with everything
- It’s always a good idea to have a quick clean
- Unpack room by room
Moving in can be a time consuming process and you might not get it all done in one day. Once the essentials are done, why not pop open a bottle and toast to your first night in your new home.
Don’t miss out!
Sign up to our mailing list today and be the first to know about the latest offers and exclusive launches from Living by Robertson.
What our customers say
We couldn’t be happier about our experience with the sales team and the site team. They made sure it was a smooth transition into our new home.
We are over the moon and impressed with the quality, Quayside is perfect for us.
I love the open plan layout of my Barcelona style apartment. It’s perfect for entertaining.